odds & sods . . . .
defying simple categorisation
My life is enhanced by...
- meat-free eating
- running by myself (with the aid of the BoM rain radar to plan
the timing and RunningAhead
to make a route map, work out length of run, log times, etc!)
- reading blogs
- coffee - currently I use Mecca when I make
myself, or if I'm out, made by Black
Star Pastry or Campos
Nero or the Lush
Bucket CafĂ©, Wrapido, Taste Baguette, Charlie Lovett, or perversely, Wellstone Seafood!
- fruit toast
- Sourdough bread from Bourke
Bakery, fruit buns from Wynyard Patisserie, fruit
scones from Sweet Delight,
buns from High Street
for his metallurgy;
recorder (2.9 MB mp3) and
Music for a New Day (on 2MBS-FM)
- ABC-Classic FM,
especially when hosted by Colin Fox, Bob Maynard,
- a variety of authors: Anne Tyler, Elizabeth Hay, Gail Godwin, Richard Ford,
Per Petterson (esp. my favourite book chapter in Out Stealing Horses)
Elizabeth Berg, Elizabeth Strout, Sue Miller, Carol
Shields, Margaret Forster, Helen Dunmore, Anita Brookner, and lots of
others working in the domestic fiction genre . . .
I have been let down by...
- too many people to mention
- software which doesn't work properly (e.g. OutlookSync)
- coffee and food sources:
- Fratelli Fresh, Waterloo - they don't open till 10am
then half the time don't have the bread I want. Besides, I know get it
cheaper direct from the source.
- Healthy Appetites - stopped stocking my favourite
- a little on the side - wonderful coffee all the time.
Brilliant banana-walnut bread....some of the time, but crap the rest of
the time. Too inconsistent for me.
- Mecca people - great coffee, but they kept forgetting
- Tobys Estate - they stopped keeping my favourite
fruit & nut toast and offered a bland commercial raisin toast as
- The Cherry Bean - changed their hours to open at 8am
instead of before 7am
- Programmers for the breakfast program on ABC Classic FM - music
moved more towards World Music, jazz, and 20th Century Easy
Listening crap (e.g. music from The Lion King), and
even repeatedly playing that ridiculous Albrechtsberger Jews Harp
connections I have include...
Copyright © Michael Lee 2011
updated 28 november 2011